Sisal carpet is growing in popularity because of its rustic look and its earth-friendliness.
Other benefits of sisal carpet include:
- It’s naturally stain-resistant, so it doesn’t require any chemical treatments that may be harmful to children and pets.
- It repels dust and static electricity.
- It absorbs sound better than other carpeting material.
- It’s naturally flame-resistant.
- It can be combined with other natural fibers such as wool or sea grass.
Sisal carpet and rugs are made from the fibers of a cactus-like plant called Agave sisalana, native to Africa and Brazil. The photo to the right shows a young sisal plant. Once the leaves are cut, fibers are extracted. These fibers are cut, dried and treated to produce twine that can then be woven into rugs. Just like hemp and coir, sisal provides durability that most manmade materials can’t match. Because of its durability, sisal doesn’t show the wear patterns common in wall-to-wall carpeting.
However, you should also consider that:
- Sisal does not do well with moisture and should be avoided in a mudroom or bathroom.
- It can show matting in high-traffic areas.
- Can be prone to color-fading especially with prolonged exposure to the sun.
Let the experts at Floor Coverings International of Richmond BC help you find a sisal carpet that’s just right for you and your home. Contact us today to schedule your free in-home consultation. We proudly serve the greater Vancouver BC, North Vancouver BC, Richmond BC areas.
You might also be interested in: